Thursday, August 27, 2015

Southern Girls Challenge - Flowers

Well spring has sprung, the lambs are here and I had to give way to a mother duck and her ducklings crossing the road yesterday.  So as the theme for this month's challenge over at Southern Girls Challenge Blog is flowers I have in homage to spring moved away from my usual projects and created a cute little gift bag using all recycled materials.  Here is the finished project:


I took a plain old cereal box and because it was quite flimsy I paper mached the whole thing inside and out with newspaper.  Once the newspaper was dry I covered the whole thing with crumpled tissue paper to give everything a bit of texture.





Once everything was dry I added more texture using texture paste through sequin waste in random spots over the box.  I then made a wash of yellow acrylic paint and water and covered the whole thing.  I sprayed spots of distress stains in yellow and blue, dryed it all off then I used black acryclic paint through a couple of Tim Holtz stencils and red paint on bubblewrap to add interest.




For the flowers I used a Sizziz dye to cut flower and leaf shapes out of recycled tissue boxes.  I added some pieces cut from corrugated card, some left over pieces from artificial flowers and buttons. The stems were cut from the tissue box as well.






The handles were taken from a recycled gift bag and the sentiment was cut from a left over piece of black card.  

I am happy with how it has all come together and it is nice to do something a bit more playful than my usual projects.  Please pop over  to the Southern Girls Blog to see the other amazing projects from our talented design team and please feel free to enter the challenge with a project of your own.  I look forward to seeing your projects on the blog.

I have entered this project in the challenge at:
Altered Eclectics


4 comments:

  1. I love how you think. The way you recycle things is nothing short of amazing, keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way your brain works Ngaere! Very cool creation. Love all the texture and detail. Hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! The detail and texture is amazing - a great piece of recycling. Thanks for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, who would have thought a cereal box could look so beautiful.. I love it.. Hugsxx

    ReplyDelete