Monday, May 31, 2021

Unicorn Chest and Journal

 My second project for Faith Pocock Craft Studio this month is a lovely little chest, which I  decorated and then decided to add a journal to go inside the chest.

Here is the finished project.












Here is the original kit before I decorated it.



I began by assembling the chest and then covering the lid and base inside and out with sewing pattern tissue. This provides a layer of texture. 



I made some silicone lace using lace moulds and Sellys No More Gaps.  There are some good tutorials on You Tube showing how to make the lace so I will not go into detail here on how to do this.  There are various materials that can b used in the moulds but I like the No More Gaps because once it has dried it is strong and flexible.  






I used air dry clay in the Unicorn Head Mould and resin for the flowers, I then glued everything to the chest and painted everything with black gesso.



Once everything was dry I drybrushed the inside and outside of the chest with Lumiere Halo Pink Gold Paint.  I waited for that coat to dry and then I drybrushed the lace and flowers with Viva Inca Gold Purple Wax.

There are holes in the sides of the kit to attache dhanldes but I chose to cover the holes and added some metal handles that I had in my stash.




I attached the lock and padlock, which are part of the kit and then moved on to make the Journal. 




I used the same techniques for the journal cover.







The journal has a hidden spine. There are nine signatures of wet and dry cartridge paper sewn inside.



This chest was really easy to assemble and lends itself to all kinds of decoration.  It could be a pirate chest, a steampunk chest and would make a great gift for Christmas with a Christmas Journal or Mini Album inside,  




1 comment: