Friday, April 21, 2017

Imagine If Twiddleybitz Advent Calender House

Today I have finally finished a project that I had hoped to have finished by December last year.  However work and life got in the way and it has taken longer than anticipated but it is finally done.  this is a Twiddleybitz MDF Advent House that I have decorated using IOD moulds and Decoart Crackle glaze and Antiqueing Cream.

I covered the house with pieces made from the IOD moulds. I then painted them with cream paint. Once the paint was dry I painted on the Deco Art Crackle glaze and let it dry. Once that was dry I used Deco Art Raw Umber Antiquing Cream.

For the inside of the openings I added small rosettes onto pieces of embossed card and painted them the same as above.  I then added some gold paper behind the front of the roof and the piece is finished, ready for next December.


Friday, November 11, 2016

Trashy Junk Journal Swap

I have made my first video showing a signature I made for a swap with some amazing ladies over at Trashy Junk Journals a fabulous Facebook group I am part of.  It is not the greatest video but hopefully I will get better as I practice. The signature ended up being fat as I just kept thinking of more things to put into it. There are lots of flaps and pullouts and tags with jurnalling posts and lots of room to journal and add things of interest to the signature. There were five of us in the swap, each making a signature and the idea was that we would bind all five signatures into one journal The signatures I received were amazing and I am still trying to think of an effective binding method that will do them all justice. 

Monday, October 10, 2016

Mixed Media Crosses

Just a few more mixed media crosses that I have been playing with.

Green Torso

This plaster torso is a commission piece I have made. It is not the usual colours I would use but the person specifically requested greens. I do like  how it has turned out.

I covered the torso with old book pages then podged green serviettes over the top of the book pages.

Then using Powertex I added the crocheted doily and the lime green fabric to give it texture. The green "fabric" was a piece that hade come wrapped around some flowers I had received for my birthday. 

I then took some $2 Shop flowers and altered them using Powertex, paints, sprays and glass glitter.

The butterfly also came in a bunch of flowers. The flourishes are die cuts made from recycled card, layered up to give them strength and then painted.

The photos don't do justice to the flowers, they are all various shades of green.

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Arachnae - Lady of Spiders

Here is a little project that I had a bit of fun with.  I took a childrens doll that I found at a thrift shop, added s skull, some spiders and a sword, then wrapped her in powertex soaked cloth.   I covered her face with a mask that I found at a garage sale and here she is.

Angel Emergent

Finally I have had time to have a play and I have altered another paper mache mannequin.  I love making these they are so much fun and they always seem to take off in their own direction taking on a life of their own.

To begin I painted a paper mache mannequin form with black gesso.  I then glued gear diecuts randomly on to the body and then framed them with recycled zippers.  Once dry I drybrushed the gears with copper Lumiere paint.  I then mixed pumice gel with texture past and black paint and then used it cover the rest of the body.

I wanted the effect of the mannequin being trapped in stone, so I used black Powertex and calico which I draped around the lower body. 

To add to the stone illusion I added some Powertex Stona art and once it was dry I dry brushed the whole thing with a mixture of grey and silver metallic paint.

While the body was drying I made a pair of wings.  These were made using a wire armature and masking tape and tissue paper. I layered gear diecuts over the wings then painted them black, then painted them with Quinacridone Gold paint.  Once dry I drybrushed them with copper Lumiere paint, added a little rusty paper and then a hint of Ferro gold paint.  I glued zippers to the "veins" in the wings which I think gives them an awesome look. 

I then painted the torso with Lumiere pewter paint and attached the wings.  I used Powertex Flex on the bottom of the torso and then painted it with various acryclic paints and added some Glass glitter to give it a bit of sparkle.  The concept is the angel emerging from the hot melted stone.

I added a crocheted doily dipped in Powertex and then drybrushed with metallic paint.

Saturday, October 1, 2016


Here are a few more torsos that I made for my exhibition. 

This torso is a small one made from a paper mache torso that I had brought in Spotlight.  It is covered in die cuts then coloured with acyrclic paints and Viva.

The second torso is a full size paper mache torso covered in burlap that has been soaked in Ivory Powertex.  It is mounted on a large canvas. I frayed the edges of the burlap to give it a more organic look.

The next two torsos were made using a plastic torso. I covered the torso with tissue paper and painted the tissue paper.  I then used crocheted doilies soaked in red Powertex and transparent Powertex to cover the torsos.

These two are small paper mache torsos. One is covered in diecuts using the same materials and paints as the larger plaster version and on the second one I used, zips, powertex and lumiere metallic paints.