Monday, August 22, 2016


As part of my exhibition at the local gallery I have made a series of masks.  I really had a good time making these and I love the way they have turned out.

First up is the Forest Mask.  This is made with die cut leaves and a little nest and eggs in her hair.  The markings on her face are made with eggshells and gems that were painted.

Next is a mask made with Powertex, fabric, nuts and bolts and gears and finished with Finnabair rust paste.

Another mask was made to look as if it was coming out of a stone garden wall.

Then I made one with crocheted doilies, Powertex and Art Alchemy paints.

Lastly I made a steampunk mask which I had previously made as just a mask.  Then I added the canvas background

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Southern Girls Anything Goes - Lady of Threads

Well this is another Anything Goes challenge.  I have been kept pretty busy working on pieces for an exhibition at my local Art Gallery.  Here is one of my favourite pieces from the exhibition that certainly fits the theme at Southern Girls this month.  The project is a mannequin that I have decorated.  I call her Lady of Threads.

I covered the torso with the instructions from a dressing pattern, then I covered that with the actual pattern tissue paper.  While the paper was still wet from the glue I  wrapped around and around the torso with different coloured cottons.

I used powertex on the zip and wrapped it around the torso' hips.  On the top of the shoulder I glued self covered buttons that I had covered in the sewing pattern instructions, topped off with a dome and quilting pins.  I used domes running from the torso' chest up to the edge of the "arms" and underneath those I glued a lot of safety pins to get the "fringe" effect.

I wrapped the neck of the torso with a measuring tape and added buttons around the bottom of the neck for interest. I cut the ends off a cotton reel and glued them onto two packets of pins, which I then glued to the front of the torso. I added a dome and the end of a decorative pin to the top of each cotton reel.

Under the breasts of the torso I glued hooks and eyes and down the front I glued sewing machine bobbins.  On top of each bobbin I glued a dome and a decorative pin.

I hope you enjoy this project as much as I enjoyed making it and please pop over to Southern Girls and check out what the rest of the design team have come up with.