Firstly I layered up the felt flowers. Once I was happy with the way they looked I glued them together. I then covered them with fabric stiffener (white glue and water would work as well) and moulded them into shape. Once they were dry I threaded thin plastic up through the center, added a bead and then threaded the plastic down the other side. I used very fine strips of plastic because I wanted the illusion of movement when I had the finished project together. I made lots of flowers because I really wanted to fill the base with them and give the impression of a vibrant garden.
So here is the process for the torso. Firstly I made a small torso out of a toilet roll and covered it with newspaper.
Using white glue watered down with water I glued a serviette onto a piece of baby muslin. While it was still wet I draped it around the torso.
I glued several bamboo skewers together and glued them inside the torso to give me a way to stand the torso. I had some butterfly wings die cut (Spellbinder "Wings" Die) from an old calendar that I was going to attach to the torso, but I just felt that it needed something more, so I used fabric stiffener on a crochet doily and moulded them to make wings which I glued to the torso. I then glued the die cut butterfly wings in front of the doily. Once the wings were attached I then decorated the torso using Imagine If flowers, leaves, insect buttons and Imagine If/Fix Design butterflies and a gecko.
For the base I used a recycled condensed milk tin. I undercoated it with metal primer then when it was dry I painted the whole tin with white gesso. While the gesso was wet I put white tissue into the paint and then covered the whole thing again with white gesso. This gives the tin a great texture. Once this layer had dried I used gel medium to attach Imagine If/Fix Design felt stencil flowers. Once the gel medium had dried I covered the whole thing again with white gesso.
I also added a few hexagons that were the offcuts from a Cheery Lynn chicken wire die.
After the paint dried I painted the whole thing with blue acrylic paint. While the paint was still wet I wiped most of it off with a damp cloth.
To steady the tin and stop it from tipping I put in a couple of layers of glass marbles into the bottom of the tim. I then put in three layers of polystyrene which I painted brown. I then began to build up the piece by sticking the torso into the polystyrene and began adding the flowers and the butterfly. To finish it all off I painted two metal dragonflies with black paint, wiped most of it off then glued them to the front of the tin. I added a row of jewels around the bust and waistline to define the torso. Once again here is the finished project.
I really enjoyed making this project and I am a convert to the felt flowers. Thanks for looking please remember to leave comments or questions and I will reply as quickly as possible. Also go and check out the fabulous flowers on offer at Imagine If/Fix Design NZ and start creating your own gardens. I will also be posting this project on my own blog. Nysbiz.blogspot.co.nz. I hope you will pop over and check out this and my other projects.
Materials used in this project.
Imagine If/Fix Design NZ Felt Flower Packs Shape paces 2-6
Imagine If/Fix Design NZ Felt Stencil Flowers
Imagine If/Fix Design NZ Butterflies
Imagine If/Fix Design NZ Geckos
Small white and pink beads
Toilet paper roll
White glue/Fabric stiffener/Gel medium
Blue and brown acrylic paint
Spellbinders Wings Die
Plastic for flower stems