Today I get to present my first Design Team project for the Imagine If Design Team.This project is made using a new release from Imagine If, the SHOE.This shoe comes in several pieces and can be assembled to give a very cool 3D effect.
When I got my first look at the shoe I was a bit stumped as to what I could do with it as itis not something I would normally choose to craft with.But after looking at it from several angles and thinking about it I began to get some ideas
To begin with I painted all of the pieces of the shoe with black paint (both sides)
I then took the two side pieces and the strap piece and covered them with silver aluminium tape.(This can be found at $2 or Coin Save shops). I then embossed the pieces using a Provocraft Cuttlebug Gears embossing folder through the Cuttlebug
Once the pieces were embossed I painted them with black acrylic paint which I them sponged off using a paper towel. Once the black paint had dried I dry brushed on gold Lumiere paint.
The next piece I worked on was the toe piece.I covered it with text paper from an old book. I then coloured it using Marmalade and Tea Dye distress inks.I inked up a Kaisercraft bubble wrap stamp with Stazon Rusty Brown ink and stamped it all over the toe piece.Once the ink was dry I embossed the piece using the Craft concepts summer flower folder.
After all of the altering I began assembling the shoe.
I used an old zip around the edges of the two side pieces and put a crocheted doily in the gap between the pieces. I glued upholstery tacks on the heel side of the shoe and I used a recycled buckle on the strap over the toe.
I added a row of beads from a deconstructed piece of jewellery across the top of the toe piece.I then put a punched picture of a clock in a bottlecap which I flattened in the Cuttlebug.Over this I put a layer of Glossy accents.Once this was dry I then gluedmetal butterfly wings, on each side of the bottlecap and glued it to the shoe over the doily.
I also put glossy accents on the heel of the show to give it a bit of shine.
Here is the finished shoe.
So now I had a pretty cool shoe but what could I do with it?I decided to use canvases to make a key holder.
I took a recycled stretched canvas and a slightly smaller board canvas and painted them (you guessed it) black.
Starting with the stretched canvas I put mesh tape around the edges of the canvas.I glued the remaining piece of the doily I had used on the shoe to the left hand corner of the canvas.I then sprayed the mesh tape withAdirondack Butterscoth and Espresso colour wash sprays.
I then began work on the board canvas. I used cream paint and stencilled gears on to the black background.The stencil I used was a TCW 12x12 Gears Template.Once the cream paint was dry I gave the canvas a light spray with the Butterscotch and Expresso coulourwash sprays that I had used on the larger canvas.
I glued the smaller canvas to the larger canvas. Then I glued the shoe to the smaller canvas.I used a Cheery Lynn Gears .die to cut gears from card covered with aluminium tape. I painted these with black paint then dabbed off the majority of the paint with a paper towel. I then glued the gears to the smaller canvas and added metal brads to the middle of some of the gears
I sprayed six recycled tabs from cans of tuna with the butterscotch and expresso sprays.I then glued these around the edge of the smaller canvas, gluing the heads of upholstery tacks over the smaller side.
To finish the canvas I glued a recycled belt around three sides of the larger canvas.I also nailed in some upholstery tacks to hold the belt in place.Along the bottom of the larger canvas I screwed in four cup hooks to hold the keys.
As an added extra I cut three pieces of strong card. On one side I put aluminium foil and on the other side I glued paper that had been inked, stamped and embossed as for the toe piece.I coloured up three keys from the Fix Designs NZ Card Cutouts – Keys, using Vintage Photo distress ink.I attached these to the paper covered side of the card strip.I also added some gear diecuts and bottlecaps with various images. I also used numbers diecut using the Tim HoltzChip Block die.I covered the whole piece with Glossy accents and put Glossy accents in the bottlecaps.On the back I painted the tape with black paint and dabbed it off with a paper towel.To hang the tags I glued tabs from cans of soft drink to the top of each tag.
Here is the finished project. From simple shoe to an accent piece suitable for any home.
As you can tell I use a lot of recycled objects in my projects and these objects can be found in your home,or second hand shops.I hope that this project gives you some ideas for using Jo’s amazing shoe in your own projects.Please feel free to leave comments or ask questions in the comments section of this post and I will be only too happy to reply.Till the next project, bye for now.
Fix Designs NZ Card cutout keys
Craft Concepts Spring Flowers Embossing Folder
Cheery Lynn Dies – Gears
ProvocraftCuttlebug Gears Embossing Folder
1 x stretched canvas
1 x board canvas
Clock, compass images
Metal Butterfly Embellishment
Tin can tabs
Soda can tabs
Adirondack Colour Wash Spray – Butterscotch and Espresso
Tim Holtz Distress Inks – Marmalade, Vintage Photo and Tea Dye