Saturday, July 5, 2014

Altered Torso - Dark Faerie

With no Design Team projects due this weekend and because I have wanted to do an altered torso for a long time I decided this weekend was the time to do it.  I started with one of the plain medium sized paper mache torsos from Spotlight.  Here is the finished project.


To begin I painted the torso with black gesso. I then used a zip that had a ring pull on it.  This went over the shoulders and down the middle of the torso I put mesh tape under the zipper around the neck and upper chest of the torso.  Over the sides of the zipper I put embossed aluminium tape that had small star shaped split pins added and I dry brushed with black paint and then gold. I then took a crocheted doily and arranged it beside the zipper and over the back of the torso.  I then painted the doily black then used red paint over the top.  For the sides I pinched out circles from embossed aluminium tape and used them to decorate the sides and back of the torso.  I then took some chipboard alphabets and put them down the front of the torso.  I painted them black then dry brushed them with red and gold. For the collar I used more aluminium tape and pop tabs glued together with red split pins added. I then used a small amount of ball chain to hang a spider charm and to close the collar.



 
The torso is attached to a small chrome candlestick holder that I got at a second hand shop.

I then got out my Paverpol to have a play and made the skirts, one black and one red from baby muslin.  The overskirt is a crocheted doily that I got from a second hand shop.  I dipped the cloth in the paverpol then I draped it over the torso.  While they were drying I made the wings. I made these using wire and tissue paper, which I then painted and embossed with clear. black and silver embossing powder in places. they have a lovely leathery feel and they moulded into a nice shape.

I added details to the back, a chain for a belt and the little owl which is actually an earring from the local $2.00 shop. 

All in all I am really happy with how this turned out and I think now I might look at doing a Light Faerie version.

I have entered this creation in the Left Of Center Creative Challenge for this week. The theme is Faeries. Check them out at http://leftofcenterchallenges.blogspot.co.nz/



T




7 comments:

  1. what can I say !! awesome.........awesome........awesome :) you rock this style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol I think I am on a roll, thinking about doing a woodland faerie one next

      Delete
    2. oh that would be cool to, you could start a collection :)

      Delete
  2. This is amazing!!! I absolutely love it and I'm thrilled that you linked up to LOC with it. So glad you shared, love all the photos and the description of your creative process. Great to have you join us this week, hope to see you again, Mo dt coordinator xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing work of art! Thank you for explaining how it all came together and all the pics too. So glad you shared your talents with us at LOC challenges this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!!! This is about the coolest thing I've ever seen! Fabulous, fabulous! xxD

    ReplyDelete