Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Steampunk Owl Journal

Yay its good to be back on the Imagine If Design Team.  I have been playing with some of the products and here is my first project. A cool art journal using Jo's large chipboard owl.






I began by altering the large chipboard owl. 




I took off his wings and cut out his pupils.  Then using texture past through the gears stencil from Imagine If I covered the entire thing to add depth and texture.  I then painted the whole thing with black gesso.



I took a pair of wings out of the Angel Wings pack and a couple of cogs from the Large Cogs Set and painted them with black paint.



Once the black paint had dried I drybrushed everything using brown and gold acryclic paint.

For the eyes I painted circles gold and glued gear diecuts on the top of the painted circle.  I glued the cogs over the top of the circles and then glued these behind the eye holes.  I painted the pupils black and glued them on to the center of the cogs.  I painted the eyebrow pieces brown and glued them back on around the eyes.  I then filled the eyes with glossy accents to give them some shine.  I took the beak piece and glued small cardboard circles around the edge of the beak,painted it yellow and glued it on to the face.



I took some chipboard letters to spell the word "Art" and glued them to the front of the owl.

I used more diecuts to make the feathers on the chest and glued the new wings on to the body.



Once the owl was finished I found an old book and took the insides out.  I then covered the book with tissue paper and various diecuts which I then painted black.  Once dry I drybrushed the whole thing with Lumiere Pewter paint.  I glued the owl to the front of the cover and then I bound watercolour paper signatures into the cover to complete the journal.






I now have an awesome good sized art journal with 50 pages in it, just waiting to be filled with artistic goodness.  Hope this project helps you to look at things a little differently and to think about changing things up a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment