Friday, July 22, 2016

Bye Bye Biplane

I am excited to bring you this project using an MDF biplane designed by the clever folks at Imagine If. I decided to make an altered tin incorporating some of the chipboard pieces and using a faux rust paint technique.








Here is the place before it was assembled.  I know it looks a lot of pieces but it is really easy to put together and due to the precision of the cutting everything slots together really easily.



I covered the wings with pieces of aluminium tape and ran over the joins with a fabric marker wheel to make the broken lines.



I painted the assembled place with black gesso.





I then found an old tin and painted it with black gesso. Then I used a combination of black, brown, orange and red paint to give a rusted appearance to the plane.



I added some circles and stars to the wings and tail of the plane.


I then found an old tin and painted it with black gesso.


I layered tissue paper on the tin, spread coarse texture paste randomly over the top of the tissue paper then added large gears from Imagine If and a diecut. I spread coarse texture paste over the gears and then I used coarse texture paste through a stencil to give more dimension.




I used the same combination of black, brown and orange acrylic paint on the tin to give a rusted, aged appearance.






I created a broken asphalt runway on the top of the tin using texure paste and black acrylic paint.  The grass poking through is from a piece of flower arrangement.  The effect I was gong for was a rusted, neglected plane left abandoned on a runway.
Anyway this was a great masculine piece to make and I hope it inspires you to try making a project with the gorgeous little biplane from Imagine If.

No comments:

Post a Comment